Door Guide: What Ironmongery do I Need for a Pre-Hung Door Set?
The key benefit to a door set is they arrive on time at the site together with the hinges and locks / latches factory fitted. On site you will simply need to add a few more components to have a fully operable and swinging door with the correct associated ironmongery.
Each room can be marked up with a Latch type, the three options are:
– LATCH, for doors that are just to be opened and closed with a lever handle / mortice knob
– BATH, for doors you would like to be lockable with a thumb turn, most commonly used in WC / Bathrooms. Not to say this cannot be used elsewhere.
– KEY, for doors that you would like to be lockable using a key
The additional items you need to compliment the door sets are:
When a door set is down as a Latch
– You will need just a pair of handles to activate the latch
When a door set is down as a Bathroom Lock
– You need a pair of handles to activate the latch part of the bathroom lock
– You then need a Turn & Release to activate the lock part of the bathroom lock
When a door set is down as a Key Lock
– You need a pair of handles to activate the latch part of the sash lock
– You then need a Euro Cylinder to pass through the locking mechanism on the sash lock
– You then require an escutcheon plate to cover the key cylinder on the door face. Escutcheons are sold individually, so 2 are normally required per door
If you have any double doors in the property you will require:
– An extra pair of handles to use on the passive door (this is not compulsory, but usually undertaken for aesthetics)
– If you use a pair of handles on the passive door you require 2 x Taylor Dummy Spindles (TDS). This ensures the handle can not be turned and stays upright in the correct position
– Flush Bolts – these are fitted to the top of the passive door, and if preferred can be added to the bottom of the door also for additional hold. A flush bolt enables the pair of doors to be kept closed in the frame, and once the flush bolt is released this allows the passive door to also swing open.